About Latter-day Finance
One of the basic tenets of Mormonism is tithing, which entails donating 10% of your income to the church. This can make managing money a little more difficult than for someone who doesn’t tithe. Hence, “Managing the other 90%.”
But while I sometimes pepper my posts with scripture or quotes from LDS leaders, this blog isn’t just for Mormons. Take what you like and leave the rest.
My name is Ben Luthi. I started this blog to share my thoughts about how personal finance management fits in with LDS teachings and culture.
I first developed a passion for personal finance when I read Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover in college. A lot of what I read felt familiar and made sense. As I’ve learned more over the years, there are a few things Dave and I don’t agree on, but I’m glad to have come across him and his program.
I graduated from Brigham Young University with a Bachelor’s degree in Finance and a minor in German. During my last year and a half of college, I was an intern at Northwestern Mutual. I sold life insurance and created comprehensive personal financial plans for clients.
I loved helping people with their money but realized that I had a problem. I didn’t care much about finding wealthier clients who would buy more expensive products. Since my income was largely based on my ability to sell insurance with big premiums, it just wasn’t going to work out.
I started blogging in 2013 at The Wealth Gospel while struggling to find a meaningful job after graduating from college — it took a couple years. After a year and a half of blogging and freelance writing, I landed a job at NerdWallet. While there, I worked with an amazing team writing about credit cards and giving personal finance advice to consumers. Now I’m a staff writer at Student Loan Hero and freelance write on the side.
I currently live in Eagle Mountain, Utah, love homemade nachos and shed silent tears during most BYU football games.